May 2, 2016

Tiny Seeds

After my time in New Jersey I came home to Alaska on the verge of spring.  In all the years I have lived here, this is the earliest spring I have yet to see.  I think the combination of not having much snow to start with (less to melt) and nice warm temperatures has put us into a wonderful season.  In early April there still was snow around but more seeds needed to be planted.
 I always start my seeds inside and have to contend with the soil getting on my floors.  But this year I found myself drawn outside the day I needed to plant my next big batch.  The deck, how I love it.  A great place to make a mess.
 And how fun to have a helper that can write.  I remember the spelling of broccoli on my freezer bags as I harvested last fall.  There has been a lot of improvement in the letter writing.  So fun to see the progress in this way.
Here I am weeks later and these 100 or so starter cups of broccoli, cauliflower and romenseco all hold little plants 3 inches tall.  My living room these days is bursting with green and just last week I planted the last of the longer growing "need to be planted inside" seeds.  The next big batch will be seeded in the greenhouse.  Spring is here and we are loving it.

No comments:

Tree Disaster of 2017

We had quite the tree drama this year.  After years and years of real trees from the woods I was done with the needles.  DONE.  Last year A...