April 12, 2016

An Alaskan Adventure

Living in the interior of Alaska is an amazing thing.  We have so much to be thankful for.  Such as our truck, snow machine and the State of Alaska Public Use cabins.  So, before Josh's parents arrived for Easter, we set a few days aside for a new family adventure.  
We booked a few nights at a cabin months ago and then have had a very dry winter with very little snow.  As the date for our cabin rental got closer and closer we were getting concerned that there would be no snow to run the gear out with the snow machine.  Thankful the week before we recieved some fresh power and a few nights of cold temperatures to keep it in place for our adventure. 
With the truck loaded with gear to take to the cabin, the kids and I started off down the trail.  We left Josh behind to load up and shuttle items out for us.  
I started the kids on our "no stroller / learn to walk" venture 10 months earlier.  Last summer we took the kids on small hikes and all winter we have walked outside a mile or so almost daily.  But it was this trip that would put my views on our progress to the test.  How would the kids do walking the little over three miles to the cabin?  
I am proud to say they did really well.  We started our hike out a little after 5pm.  Just how things ended up happening with Josh at work, loading gear and then the hour drive to the trailhead.  Not an idea time to start a hike with preschoolers but that is what we had.  Thankful for the longer springtime days we had plenty of daylight ahead of us.  The kids hiked a long, needing encouragement, but steadily moving.  All the while Josh ran one load out to the cabin and then passed us as he headed back to the truck for the second load.
When Josh passed us heading back out that second time we had already passed the two mile marker.  The kids were starting to lag quite a bit but not complaining.  It was a good time to let them all climb on the snow machine with daddy while I hiked along solo for that last mile.
Turning that last corner the cabin was a beautiful site to see.  I had seen this cabin in our hiking/camping days before kids and it wasn't anything to write home about.  But then it burned down and was rebuilt in 2010.  It is by far the nicest state cabin I have ever seen.
Upon my arrival I found Josh and the kids inside with a warm fire started.  The kids were so excited about picking their bunk for the night and everyone was busy unpacking.  Thinking soup would taste good after a winter hike I had brought along a zip lock bag of some homemade ham bone soup and a loaf of my potato bread.  Both had been frozen for transport and I failed to realize how little they would defrost in the cold temperatures - the answer is not at all.  Luckily Josh and his hatchet came to the rescue and soon the soup was simmering on the stove while we worked to make the cabin home.
Dinner at 8:30 pm isn't what the kids are usually accustom to but it is part of what makes these kinds of trips adventures for all.  
Yes, a little time away from life and surrounded by family.  That is what this trip was all about.  The first day and night had us off to a good start for sure.


hxriley said...

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS POST!! The smiles on the kiddos faces as they sit around the supper table lit by only a candle says it all :) Well done mom and dad, well done!!!

Anonymous said...

AHHH frozen soup and bread- a funny story. The cabin environment must have made everyone a little more tolerant and patient for dinner ;-) so cute.

Tree Disaster of 2017

We had quite the tree drama this year.  After years and years of real trees from the woods I was done with the needles.  DONE.  Last year A...