September 22, 2015

Story Hour

I have learned as a mom that when we are having hard behavior days the best solution is to stay home.  Sometimes the "staying home to get this right" solution lasts several days.  Last week was one of those weeks.  Days where I had things planned but I had to tell the kids if they couldn't listen to me at home then I couldn't trust them to listen to me in town.  

One of the main things we kept missing was story hour.  We all love story hour at the library so this was hard.  
 So on Tuesday we had an at home story hour.  All of the kids baby dolls and favorite animals were invited to come along.  The kids had so much fun setting up for this special occasion.
 Ethan and Abigail each picked some favorite stories for me to read, and I was even given a chair up front to read from.
 After stories Abigail asked me what craft they could do since our wonderful librarians usually have something small for them to put together.  I looked at her and racked my brain (hardest part of crafting is the idea) and promised when Naomi took her nap we would make something together.  Lucky for them I was feeling adventurous and cracked out the paint.  We don't often paint at home as much as we do other things.  I often leave that to Mooseketeers or the Children's museum but, as I stated earlier, I was feeing brave.  Since we had read one train story and two princess stories I decided to go with a train craft.
Some paint, toilet paper rolls, and spare egg cartons.  We all had so much fun.  And when we finally did get back to our library for story hour later that week Abigail was sure to tell our librarians that her story hour was at home, and she had SO MUCH fun.  You know, on days where behavior is bad I am reminded they just need a little more of me.

2 comments:

mother said...

Especially liked that sprawl of dolls and animals in various positions surrounding little Naomi. You are a clever and terrific mama!

mother said...

Especially liked that sprawl of dolls and animals in various positions surrounding little Naomi. You are a clever and terrific mama!

When It is whatever below zero, I'd be all over the "at Home Story Hour". Funny, reading books is what you do EVERY day, but calling it story hour and setting it up in a semi-structured way makes it so fascinating.