March 10, 2015

Iditarod 2015

The legendary Iditarod dog race starts in Anchorage, AK each year.  But this year they just didn't have enough snow.  So the start of this big 1,000 mile dog race was sent our way.  
 Even thought our temperatures have dropped below zero degrees again we couldn't miss out on this opportunity.  
 So the kids were all bundled up and we headed to the river.  This dog race is run each year as a remembrance of the great serum run.  In 1924 there was an outbreak of diphtheria in Nome, Alaska.
 The serum needed to save the kids of Nome missed the last boat up the coast but the serum still needed to get there or the children of Nome wouldn't make it through the winter.
 So the serum was put on a train from Anchorage to Nenana and then from there was taken by dog sled the rest of the way (674 miles) across the huge state of Alaska to the coast.
 I do believe I was a lot more excited about this day then the kids but it was still fun to share it with them.
Many thanks goes to my father in law who was there to help me bundle, cart and encourage the kids with me since Josh had to work.  The start of the Iditarod 2015, we did that!

This post is dedicated to my best friend Heather Riley.  For even though she now lives across the country she knows more about each and ever musher then anyone I know.  If it could have been possible for her to be here with me today I know she would have.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW that is a great experience but I also like the history you stuck into the blog- very fun! I love that your father-in-law was there to help (i see him carrying N's sled)
I see the little booties on the dog's feet too- it is so cold for them!
H

mother said...

What an awesome experience! We heard about the FBKS start on the national news. Glad you made the effort. those little faces are VERY red from the cold--even Darryl's. Lots of Aquaphor in your house that day, I'll bet.

heather said...

so so SO SO glad you guys got to go see this!!! I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE for sure!!! Thanks for taking pics and sharing them! I love all the photos!!! It looks like DeeDee is waving right at you!!