February 17, 2015

A Little Here A Little There

So I am sharing this story only because my sister did this same thing last year and I learn from her.  So don't think me weird on my own.  

After Christmas I came upon the mixed bags of hershey's chocolate chip bags on clearance.  The ones that are red, green and brown mixes.  Well, last week (as we were getting ready for Valentine's day), I had the kids do a little sorting for me.  Two bags of chips, three containers each and preschool was about to start for the day.
 You know whenever I read those mom blogs that talk about teaching preschool to their kids I want to cry.  I know I talk about this a lot but honestly, it is on my mind a lot.  There are mom's out there with rooms full of preschool/teaching supplies.  With trays full of muffin tins that are then full of colored cotton balls where their kids sit and sort things.  

I am not one to go out and get supplies like that, I just don't work that way.  But when I find myself at the counter having the kids sort the chocolate chips I laugh at myself.  Because hey, we are doing it.  Red for our Valentine's day cookies, green for Saint Patrick's day next month, and a little brown to mix in (thanks so much Hillary for doing this last year, what a great idea).
The kids spent almost a half hour sorting, we then talked about which color had the most/lease/the middle amounts.  The best part of the story, this was the best part of the kids day.  They loved it.  Sorting first thing in the morning and then first thing to tell daddy when he came home at the end of the day.  Why?  Well, because it involved getting to eat two chocolate chips each at the end of a job well done.  When preschool is at home with this mama, just about anything can happen.

1 comment:

lindajo said...

I did not know that they sold mixed color bag of chips!