January 21, 2014

For the love of the game....


Guest blogger #3...
Hello everyone...I'm Kathleen's best friend Heather.  What an honor to be guest blogging on her site.  I should also add I tried to do this years ago and was not allowed ;)  FINALLY!

For the love of the game.....You know, it's that time of year.  
I'm sure you already know what this blog is going to be about....
Everyone has THEIR favorite team.
Relationships can often be strained over such an event.
Social events are planned around this competition.
It's covered all over the news.
Athletes are at the peak of their careers.
Training is intense.
Teamwork is crucial.
It's survival of the fittest...

For those of you reading this post from outside of Alaska (okay, to be fair, and many from Alaska), I'm willing to 'bet' you know EXACTLY what I'm referring to. Furthermore, I'm sure you'll know exactly what these two images represent without further explanation.  Take a look.
Yup, Superbowl XLVIII 
February 2, 2014


Well, I think I may have fooled you.  You see (to use one of Kathleen's trademark phrases), when you live in Alaska, professional sports take on a whole new meaning.  We 'Alaskans' don't have a professional football, baseball, soccer, or even hockey team (yes, only a semi pro hockey team).  Granted, this is my opinion, but from my time living there, professional sports weren't really THAT big of a deal.  Sure you had your hard core sports fanatics just like anywhere else, but maybe I just didn't surround myself with them?  I digress.....Here is what my blog is REALLY about...


 AND

 While the Superbowl will take place somewhere in the lower 48 on February 2nd, most Alaskans will have already picked their favorites, placed their 'bets', and high fived the hands of their favorite teams that consist of one human (the musher) and fifteen ATHLETES (the dogs) as they sprint by their fans at the start of the race.  The YUKON QUEST will START in Fairbanks this year on February 1st and end anywhere between 10 to 16 days later with teams having traveled 1,000 miles through the vast Northern Alaska and Yukon wilderness.
Check this quick clip out:

AND THAT'S NOT ALL....roughly one month later, the IDITAROD will kick off.

These two races will continue regardless of weather.   There is no such thing as rain delays, weather delays, and quite frankly, if no one showed up on 'game day' to cheer these teams on, it wouldn't matter to THESE athletes.  I love this sport....I love the passion that surrounds it....athletes that truly LOVE what they do--athletes that were BORN to do this.  All for the love and NOT the money.  These athletes get limited TV screen time, do not have huge stadiums that sell thousands of tickets to see them perform, and really, they have no desire to impress anyone other than their musher.....
They really do work, FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME.

Having said all this, I must admit, I most likely WILL be at a Superbowl party come February 2nd.  The commercials ARE a lot of fun.  I'm not vested in either football team and could care less about the outcome. BUT, you better believe I will have my cell phone and will be checking the latest race standing of the Yukon Quest race that started the day before ;)  And, you better believe I will know way more about the these canine athletes and their mushers than any player with a helmet on throwing a ball around, while trying to run 100 yards at a time.......

Enjoy your sport of choice...whether it be on turf, or in the pristine wilderness of the great north.....












4 comments:

mother said...

Heather, I wish I could be there to see it start. How exciting!! Kathleen, I'll bet you and the family are going to be cheering the dogs on, aren't you??

Kathleen Klynstra said...

Oh how funny this post is to me. I think this is the first and only time football has ever been mentioned on my blog. You can be sure that this family will be celebrating on Saturday and Not on Sunday! Can't wait to take pictures for you to see but more we wish you could be with us for this fun event. Thank you so much for this blog post and for sharing your passion for dog mushing that will hold true no matter where you are.

Anonymous said...

Hold up!!! Heather got THREE GUEST BLOG SLOTS... something is fishy about this!
H

kham said...

I didn't know that this blog existed! Where have I been? Good to hear from you, Miss Heather. Hope you and the family are doing well. Miss you all.