February 7, 2013

The By Product

When you make Almond milk from scratch at home you end up with a bunch of Almond meal.  Not one to really let too much go to waste I stored this almond meal in the fridge and then went about trying to figure out just what to use it in.
 Well, I found a great recipe for coconut/almond meal muffins that are dairy and gluten free, just what this family needs.  After making the first batch I realized that I needed to dry my almond meal before cooking with it, let me tell you we had some super moist muffins for sure.  Last weekend I had more dried almond meal waiting and decided to whip up a new batch to see if these ones would be a little better.
Well, they were.  Let me tell you from a person who has been eating gluten free for years these were the best muffins I have had in a long time.  Yeah for new discoveries and the things that keep life sweet.

Thanks to Josh for the random pictures of me and my boy.  If you ever wondering how baby wearing and cooking goes, this is how we roll.  When Ethan is in the Ergo he faces me but in the moby he loves to face out.  I know he is just thinking of the day when he can lick the spoon.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Ooh, I'd love that recipe! I had so much almond meal backed up, I just started throwing it away. I usually put mine back in the food processor after toasting it - the 'crumbs' are even finer (is that a word?) that way. I was adding it to oatmeal, pancakes, muffins, bread crumbs (for chicken, etc.)... I would even sub 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of flour in chocolate chip cookies! I know a lot of these things are full of gluten, sigh. Glad you've found uses for yours! You could probably put it in smoothies, even. Hmm... :)

mother said...

Funny you commented on Ethan in the moby wrap. As I was reading the blog it occurred to me that he was in a type of straight jacket. Yet, he didn't look unhappy about the fact that his arms were pinned to his body. haha He is still so darling.
PS--Like the bib, too!

mother said...

I just revisited this page and the second pic of you and Ethan looks rather like a siamese twin, 2 heads, one body. Scary.....

heath said...

This pic of little ethan is so funny...like he's still growing out of your belly...
but, okay, about the post...what is almond meal? glad you found a great use for it!!! powdery like corn meal?

You know, I'm always impressed with the way you create things...love it!

Kathleen Klynstra said...

Heather - Almond Meal is the ground up almonds from making almond milk.

Beth- I have had several people ask for the recipe, I will make it its own blog post soon. Thank you for all of the other suggestions. Love the idea of using it to bread chicken. Made homemade fish sticks out of crushed corn chexes last night, always improvising.

Big Monuments

A lot of big things have been happening at this house.  Last week we had all of our 1/2 birthdays and real birthdays and that filled our da...