October 9, 2012

A Day WIth The Ducks

While I was working for DNR I remember one day in particular when my friend Heather gave me a call.  She called to tell me that since it was so nice out she was going to take her grad school work to the park and feed the ducks.  She asked if I could join her.  As I looked around my cubical at all the work I had to do, and realized as well that I was AT WORK, I had to say no.  But that phone call and day has stuck with me since.
 Ever since then I have looked forward to the time when it as a nice day out and I would be free to go to the park and feed the ducks.  Last winter when it was so cold and we were shut in the house I looked forward to sharing that day with Abigail.  Then I got hurt in the spring and the day for the ducks got moved further and further into the future.
 Well, a few weeks ago I realized the summer was passing us by and we needed to go feed the ducks soon or we would loose our chance.
 So a few weeks back we packed up and headed to the park and what a fun time we had.  We had so very much fun that we have gone back and back and back frequently in the past few weeks.  Why oh why did we not do this sooner?
 We have brought moldy hot dog buns, stale cornbread, hard ends of french bread and I have made many batches of popcorn to take as well.  We have gone with my mother, Josh, with Josh's mother and by ourselves as well.  Each time we have so very much fun.  Abigail has gotten really good at throwing the food we bring, at crumpling the bread before she throws it and has come very close to touching the ducks as they flock around her for the treats.
Abigail loves that as soon as we show up the ducks come from all corners of the park and river to see her.  The funny thing is that whenever we now eat bread, hamburger buns or hot dog buns with dinner she insists that it is for the ducks.  As a child my siblings and I wanted to send our food to the poor children in Africa.  Well in our house I guess we are set to feed the poor ducks of Fairbanks.   

3 comments:

mother said...

Happy memories of our times there. Thanks for the reminder.

mother said...

Happy memories of our times there. Thanks for the reminder.

haath said...

ohhhhhh, what a fun post...i wish Caroline and I were there to feed the ducks WITH you.....

Abigail is SO SWEET!!!