October 13, 2011

One Last Harvest

The nights in Fairbanks are getting longer and the days are getting cooler.  But even as we settle in to our cozy home with the woodstove roaring there was still one more part of the garden to be harvested.



Our carrots were the last things left in the ground.  Last year our carrots were so very good that I planted a larger section of the garden this year and we were excited to see how they did.  With Abigail bundled up she and I headed to the garden.  Abigail took a little nap on my back as I dug around in the cold dirt looking for each and every carrot.



We are so very excited about how our crop did this year.  We filled an 18 gallon tote with our carrots and since that day have been eating them steamed, raw, and in casseroles, soups, pot pies and with moose roasts.  I am looking for a good recipe for a carrot soup, any suggestions?    

4 comments:

Eve said...

Here's my favorite carrot soup recipe. I first made it in Fairbanks, I think. I made a ginger carrot soup once that was also really good.

1⁄4 cup butter
1 1⁄2 cup onion chopped
1 Tbs. ginger peeled and chopped
1 1⁄2 tsp. garlic minced
1 1⁄4 pounds carrots peeled and chopped
2 tomatoes chopped and seeded
1 1⁄2 tsp. lemon peel grated
3 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs. lemon juice
4 Tbs. sour cream

Melt butter and add onion and saute until cooked.

Add garlic and ginger and cook some more.

Add carrots, tomatoes, lemon peel.

Add broth, bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are tender.

Puree soup, then add lemon juice.

Top with sour cream when serving.

mother said...

How DO you bend over and dig in the dirt with almost 20 lbs on your back? Sure makes a hard job much harder. Next year will be better as little Miss A can be walking around and maybe helping even.

heath said...

look at all those yummy carrots and all the leaves on the ground...wow
you and A look great! i know you're in you're element

Beth said...

I agree with your mother - I am impressed! Kathleen, you are such a hard worker, and I admire your determination to get out there and get your work done - even if it means strapping 20 adorable pounds to your back. :) Next year you WILL have a little "helper" out there!

I am also impressed with your gigantic tote full of carrots! I want to crunch on one right now! :)