October 5, 2011

Lessons I Learned From My Father

As fall arrived a few weeks ago my parents packed up their little white car, dog and all, and headed south to the warmer and sunnier parts of the world.  As I reflect on the three months they spent with us in Fairbanks I do so with a smile.  It was a wonderful summer, went too fast, so much happened and so much is to be remembered.  The past two summers my mother was here I was able to spend a lot of time with her and as it worked out this summer that my dad was here I was able to spend a lot of time with him as well. 

I have discovered with great joy that I have a grown up friendship with my parents.  And this summer, the summer I turned 30, the first summer I was a mother, and the summer both of my parents lived in Fairbanks was the summer I learned a lot of things from my father.  I learned…

How to properly stack a pile of split wood
 How to cook the perfect omelet
 That eating bacon, something I haven’t done in 16 years, is a good thing
 That even if it rains, if the wood is in the shed and isn’t getting wet, it is a good day.
That no matter how old you are you can start a new job, do well and have fun all if you have the right attitude.
 That it is important to keep a small amount of fun money aside in your budget and to spend it having fun.
 That a pepsi in a glass of ice is the cheapest payment I will ever have to make in exchange for wood being hauled.
 How to cook bacon, pork chops and baby back ribs and enjoy eating them.
 How to work with Abigail in a swimming pool.
 Invest for my daughter’s future
 How to help my green beans grow straight even if I did plant the wrong type of green beans.
 How a little drywall mud can cover a multitude of errors nobody every needs to know about.
 That no matter how much fun it might sounds, giving a nine month old part of a chocolate donut is never a good idea.
How much fun it is to learn from my father.  When I was younger I knew way too much for my own good.  It is a joy to realize that as an adult there is much to learn from both of my parents and how much fun that time of learning can be.

5 comments:

Popeye said...

thanks, Kathleen Don't be sad because its over, be glad we came.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful sentiments! Wonderful memories for all of you. carol e

Anonymous said...

eating bacon is an important part of every day. dont leave home without it!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to the knowledge of our dad! I think he needs to come to NJ and teach me a few things! Love you, dad!

Hill

heath said...

beautiful post kathleen! family is the most important thing there is here on earth and i'm so happy that you were able to spend a wonderful summer with yours! you are so very lucky and loved!